Thursday, January 10, 2008

Top 5 Movies - 2007

Just a favorite list of the movies I watched this year, not necessarily all having been released in 2007. Do I have to even mention that all of these movies have excellent scores as well and that I bought them straight away after watching each movie? No? Okay.

5. The Painted Veil
Okay, I admit this is mostly because I have a thing for Edward Norton, but in my defense he does consistently pick good rolls in solid movies (Well, I hate American History X, but who honestly does like that movie?). It's period piece set in China during the cholera epidemic in the '20s. It's epically romantic and coming from a girl who's seen enough chick flicks and romance movies to end all worlds it's something.

Alexandre Michel Desplat - "River Waltz"



4. Nirgendwo in Afrika (Nowhere in Africa)
It's another Holocaust/World War II type movie, but with an interesting take: those that took refuge in Africa. I was fully absorbed in this family's drama of their struggle to acclimate into the Kenyan culture all the while dealing with the knowledge of the war in Europe. "Nowhere In Africa" has that epic quality that deserves a viewing.




3. Lars and the Real Girl
The word that pops up in my head every time I think of this movie is "charming". The story, the characters, and the music are just very endearing and quirky. Plus Ryan Gosling is the hotness.

David Torn - "End Credit Suite"




2. Pan's Labyrinth
This is an amazing movie. It's part fantasy and part psychological drama, and most definitely not for kids. Every scene was captivating both in story and in special effects used. And yes, the score was also stellar.

Javier Navarrete - "Long, Long Time Ago"



1. Once
It's kind of the modern day musical but with the singing naturally incorporated into the movie's plot and without it coming across as contrived. Romantic as hell and the soundtrack is exactly why I bother searching through the music blogs as I found the music before I saw the movie. I want my own Glen Hansard.

Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová - Lies



Notables:



Hot Fuzz

The "awesome British humor" pick.
--------------------



Memories of Murder

The "suspenseful thriller in a foreign language" pick.
--------------------



Sound and Fury

The "documentary that makes you think and choose sides" pick.

--------------------


Juno

The "adorable, quick-witted, and quirky" pick.

--------------------

No comments: