Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Just A Love Machine


My parents are currently on Operation: Get-Andrea-A-Nice-Romanian-Boy and the train has just started rolling from the station. A few weeks ago I made an innocent comment to my dad on how he is so negative about guys I like and I asked him where are all the men that he has in mind for me that he would be so disapproving of my own choices. Bad, bad move. My parents have now whole-heartedly embraced this unintended challenge and apparently have been plotting ways to get me a love connection with a Romanian. Today I discovered their first planned assault, where they've organized a little shindig for this coming Sunday. At first, I wasn't certain what to make of the whole party so I tested the waters by throwing out that I had already made plans on Sunday and that I couldn't make it. The panicked look on my mom's face and her asking if I could postpone my plans until later set off all the alarms. After some intense staring on my part (Larry David would be very proud) and saying, "Mom", she broke down and admitted that she and my dad had invited 4 families over to our house as a diversion to the real point of my interacting with this one specific guy. The worst part of it all is that I know him. I spent a lot of my childhood as a tomboy following my brothers and this guy and his brother around. What I learned from the years spent with them is that I had a huge forehead that needed frequent waxing to maintain it's large shine, I was annoying as hell and they made sure to tell me that with every chance they got, and that it was just good clean fun to knock over the toys and stuffed animals in my room all the while filming the scene and my reaction. I know, all of that was a long time ago and he's most likely matured and could be a stud now, maybe even the greatest thing since Michael W. Smith. Maybe. Stay tuned... (Wow, did I just slightly acquiesce to the possibility that this guy might have a fighting chance? Man, I am such a waffling wimp.)

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Love Machine

1 comment:

Sam said...

first...the staring contest was funny as hell. second...it's funny how some parents are sometimes so interested in having grandchildren that they forget the small details...like you're 21 and in college!